Claiming Vehicle Expenses Sole Trader

Printer Friendly

If you are a Sole Trader or Partnership, you can claim the running costs of using your own vehicle in your business.

Running costs include things like fuel, registration, warrant of fitness, repairs and maintenance.

You can claim 100% of costs if you only use the vehicle for business and not personal use.

If the vehicle is used for both business and personal travel, you will need to make adjustments to apportion these costs.

A logbook should be kept for 3 months (every 3 years) in order to determine the proportion of business versus personal travel.

*Note that travel between work and home is not classified as business use.

More detailed information can be found here on the Inland Revenue website…

If you would like advice and assistance, please get in touch. We’d be happy to help.